Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Name Game

Now that we know it's a girl, I have four months to think of a couple good names so that when the baby is born I have a few combinations to choose from when I meet her. Here is the list of girls name that I have on a list that I've been compiling pretty much since day one. Tons of names have come and gone, and these are the ones that I haven't either gotten sick of or thought of a nasty nickname for.

Juliana (after my mom)
Lydia
Maple (my great grandma)
Amalia (Molly for short)
Kate
Violet
Stella
Sophie
Ava
Lily
Maya
Leela (I actually got this name from Futurama, but I love it!)
Imogene (after my grampa Gene)
Lauralei
Gwen
Brooke
Margaret (Maggie, also a family name after my Grandma)

These are thoughts for both first or middle names. My favorite combinations so far are Juliana Violet, Maya Juliana...you get the picture. Chances are VERY good that Juliana will be a first or middle name. It's just so pretty, and my mom rocks.

Now here's where the game comes in. I want you to list your two favorite names, your least favorite name (and why), and a new name that you like but wasn't on the list. I want to make sure all my bases are covered so I don't hear a name after the baby is here and curse the skies for not thinking of it before. That, and so I don't stick my kid with a name I thought was cool for a second, but later realized was lame. Now get to it!

P.S. The Sarah Palin baby name generator said I should name the baby Timber Challenger Ristig. Hahaha!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, so obviously i'm bias, but the one that stuck out to me is Amalia! you could do 'amalia julianne' so it's an homage to your mom, but not the exact name. i also like stella... hazel isn't on your list, but it's one of my favorites :) i always thought 'hazel hutchins' would be adorable!

Pete&Laurie said...

Actually, Hazel was on my list but Pete veto-ed it. We both get the power to veto any name we think is weird or that was the name of someone we didn't like very much!

Dick&Erica said...

Favorites:
1- Maya Juliana
2- Imogene Juliana. I think that it's a more unique name, but for some reason I love it.

Not so Favorites:
1- Kate, Sophie, & Ava. All are very cute but VERY over used. She'll be Sophie R. her entire school career. Then again, my name isn't very popular and I was one of three Erica's in my sophomore math class.
2- Gwen. for some reason, this name doesn't flow for me.

Other Considerations:
1- Velma. Keeping with the great-grandma tradition. ha ha!
2- Barbara. You know you'd be the forever favorite for this one.
3- Alice. An ode to Grammy, but a cute name besides.
4- Cadence or Perry. Both are names that friends have recently named their girls and I think they're super cute!

By the way, you guys have the most perfect last name ever! It sounds great with every name! We can't do names that end with s or x.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I like Erica's idea of Perry. Grandpa's mom's last name was perry and has a HUGE heritage that I recently found out about which if you like I will send you. Maple too. That's her name and in fact there is a town in utah that her parents founded and she was born there named Mapleton. I dont know if the town was named after her or vice versa. The deal with Juliana is not only cause it is my name, but I think "Julia" is a really cute nickname, and goes EXCELLENT with Ristig. I also really like the name Maya. It also goes well with Ristig and sounds snazzy with Juliana.