Saturday, October 24, 2009

Genealogy is the BOMB!

I decided to get an ancestry.com account since it's free, and I've been compiling tons of information on both Pete's and my side of the family. At first it was just tedious insertion of information, but it's starting to become a crazy obsession. Last night I was online until 1:00am, and the only reason I came in to bed is because Pete reminded me that it was his morning to sleep in (we take turns on the weekends). I was on a high because found my dad's mother Margaret, and discovered her siblings and parents. I have aunts and uncles I never even knew about!

I've discovered that I am a direct descendant of King Henry I as well as French royalty and tons of the English aristocracy. I've also traced two separate lines from just 100 years ago back to the same people in England from the 1200's. Did you know they stop recording dates of anything previous to 1000 C.E.? Pete tells me it's because they had a different calendar back then. I think its that, and it probably has something to do with the Millennium Project.

I've been going pretty much non-stop on this for the last three days, and I still have loose ends that I'm filling in. It's crazy. I have over 2,000 people on the tree thus far, and there are over 400 hints for more possibilities. Sometimes while I'm filling in names, I have mixed emotions about whether or not I want to find more parents of ancestors. If I find them, that's two more people I have to insert. Dead ends mean no more work, but it also means no more history.

Pete has been a saint and has been tolerating me sitting in front of the computer all day even more than I usually do! Speaking of saints, did you know that Saint Patrick is my great-great-great-great...............great uncle? SO. RAD.

Here's where my genealogy is if you're interested. It starts with Maya.
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/5115853/family/pedigree

0 comments: