Saturday, April 11, 2009

She's Back!

Maya has finally reached (and exceeded) her birth weight! Yay! It took a lot longer than it should have, but with lots of feedings, lots of pumping, and a little formula to supplement what I couldn't provide, she is finally gaining weight at the rate she should. Whew!

Apparently, I fall into the 2% of women who can't produce an adequate quantity of breast milk to nourish a baby. Even after weeks of ritual pumping, my supply was mediocre at best. It kind of made me feel like a deadbeat Mom, but the way I look at it I did everything I could to boost my supply including taking hippie supplements of this fennel seed concoction that smelled awful. Thank goodness for formula! I'm still going to continue breastfeeding, but formula is going to be playing a major role as well. It's actually kinda nice because if we are out in public I can whip out a bottle instead of...well...you know.

Regardless of her lack of proper nourishment, Maya has met and exceeded all of her milestones. She is even doing things she's not supposed to do for another month or two. She can push herself up on her hands during tummy time while holding her head up for quite a while before it flops over, and she can also support her weight on her legs when we hold her upright. You saw that she is a definite smiler from that last video, and she also enjoys having heartfelt talks with her Mom.

And yes.. I totally speak Motherese to her. I can't help it. Babies and dogs make me baby-talk.

0 comments: