Thursday, January 15, 2009

Adventures in Acupressure

I had an appointment with my midwife on Tuesday, and after feeling around my abdomen and listening to the heartbeat on the little doppler wand thingie, she told me that Maya was head down and was already sliding down into my pelvis. She also said she's pretty big, and asked if she came today if I'd be ready. "HECK YES" I told her. Now I'm all excited (not that I wasn't before) and expecting her to arrive early. I have an ultrasound on the 20th, and I cannot wait to see her again. My last one was in September. It's been forever, and I bet she doesn't look nearly as creepy as she did. She looked like Skeletor last time.

Pete and I are taking a six week birthing class, and this week we went over positions and breathing and massage. The instructor warned us to steer clear of hand and ankle massages as there were pressure points there that could start early labor. I'd heard before of women getting acupuncture to induce labor, but didn't really think about acupressure. Well, of course after I went home I went online to find out exactly where these points are! I found the one in my hand, and just for fun decided to see what would happen, or if it would even work on me. Holy-moly about ten seconds after I squeezed, my entire abdomen and back clenched. I freaked out! I sat back and tried to relax meanwhile shaking out my hands. After about 20 seconds it went away and didn't come back. Crisis averted!

Once I hit my 38 week mark I am SO going to get this thing started!

0 comments: