Saturday, June 28, 2008

For all you pregnant ladies and their doting husbands...

Pete and I attended a Nutrition During Pregnancy class on Thursday evening. One of my favorite parts of the class was when they passed out a sheet that listed common maladies associated with pregnancy, and things you can eat to alleviate them. The last few days I've been pretty green around the gills (next week the full-on morning sickness is scheduled to kick in), so I checked out the morning sickness remedy. It said that morning sickness can often be alleviated or fixed all together with vitamin B-6. You can get this into your body by eating tomatoes, brown rice, wheat bran, brewer's yeast, soybeans, poultry, veal, and organ meats. Other remedies included drinking ginger tea or red raspberry leaf tea.

None of these items sounded particularly appetizing except for the tomatoes, but I can't get tomatoes right now because of the salmonella going around. The local stuff isn't ripe yet. So, I decided to go to Walgreen's to see what I could get.

I purchased a bottle of Nature's Bounty Liquid B Complex, and also got some seasickness wrist bands. These are also supposed to help by using acupressure. Anyhoo, I paid for my purchase, and while Pete was driving I squirted some under my tongue like the directions said. It wasn't the best tasting, but I felt like crap and was willing to try anything. About two minutes went by, and I almost immediately felt so much better! I'm not sure how much is too much to take per day, but I'm going to ask my midwife at my Tuesday appointment I have with her. The B vitamins are really good for baby's neural development, though. They're also good for metabolizing proteins too, so it's good for your iron intake as well. Lots of iron means no anemia. Yay!

If I get nothing else out of this class, it would have been worth the $15 we paid just for this tidbit of knowledge about morning sickness. So ladies, have your man go to the store and buy you some. The liquid stuff works almost immediately because you don't have to wait to digest it. I took it about two hours ago, and I still feel really good. Granted, I don't have full-blown puking-my-guts-out morning sickness yet, but it worked to settle my stomach so I could feed my starving self.

If you guys have anything other remedies you need, let me know the symptom and I'll see if it's mentioned in the materials I brought home with me from the class. Just to list a few, there were food remedies for heartburn, itchy skin, swollen ankles, constipation, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, postpartum depression, and more.

Pete and I decided we're going to have the baby at UNM Hospital's Nurse-Midwifery. Our midwife is named Dympna Ryan, and she is a sweet little English lady with a really cute accent! I'm shooting for a natural childbirth, but if I chicken out I'll be in the hospital, so I can get an epidural if I want. Plus there are lots of machines that go Ping! so we know the baby will be safe if there are any complications. I'm also getting a doula so I can be encouraged by someone who has seen a trillion births and can give a rad pregnancy massage!

On a completely different note, hoodlum kids rang my doorbell about every hour until 3:30am last night. I was daydreaming about sitting on the roof with my shotgun waiting for them to run up to my door so I could suddenly stand up, cock my shotgun *chunk chunk*, point at at their stupid heads, and dare them to ring it again. I was too tired to really do it, though. Too bad. It would've been fun to watch them squirm!

Now for some randomness. I've posted these before on myspace, but I thought I'd share them with you folks who are strictly blogger fans. I love Michael Cera.

2 comments:

Dick&Erica said...

I really hope you don't get very sick. I took the Vitamin B in liquid form through my IV tube, but at that point, nothing really helps. My dr. also put me on Zofran (an anti-nausea medication) but it didn't do much for me. I tried the sea sick bands too, and every type of ginger product, sour candies, preggie pops, saltines before I got out of bed...

I think my body is just crazy! But that stuff must work for most people because that is always the advice that's given. I am excited for the healthy recipes, even though I'm not pregnant. i love trying new recipes.

Barry, Vicki and the boys said...

I used to use peppermint candies when I had morning sickness. I kept a stash next to my bed and would suck on one before I went to sleep and one right when I woke up. It did me wonders of good. I did know about your blog. Dorothy had sent me the link right when we got here to minnesota. So I have had the time to read it and see what you all are up to. Congrats on the baby!!