Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Charley Harper: an Obsession


I have recently become a crazy person when it comes to being crafty. I've made a gzillion hair bows and tutu's, I've sewn a really cool banner for my upcoming craft show, and I've purchased stuff to do scherenschnitte (German paper cutting to the lay person) and cannot wait to get started.

While surfing the web for ideas, I came across a blog post about this artist whose work I'd actually seen before in the kids section of the bookstore. I think every time I set foot into a bookstore and see any of Charley Harper's stuff my inner dialogue goes a little something like this:

inner me#1 - "OOOOHHHHH! Look at this gorgeous book!"

inner me#2 - "Wow, that is really pretty. But, did you see the price tag?"

inner me#1 - "But, you can't put a price on beauty."

inner me#2 - "Oh yes you can, and that price is too much. You said you were going to stop spending on stuff you didn't really need."

inner me#1 - "But, I think I need this."

inner me#2 - "No, you don't"

inner me#1 - "Yes, I really do!"

inner me#2" - Behave yourself. Get it under control! What will Pete think when you walk in with more stuff? You'll hate yourself tomorrow."

inner me#1 - "Dang you, stupid inner me#2!"



Seriously, his stuff is so gorgeous I'm thinking about buying a book or two, scanning the pictures into my scanner, printing them out, and framing them. They are gorgeous beyond words! I will probably break down and buy the coloring book for Maya. When she really starts making art, and knowing that she is making the marks on the page, I'm going to let her do watercolors on them. Definitely frame-worthy!

1 comments:

Erica said...

they had a line of his stuff at old navy last year. i don't know if they still carry it now (i haven't been in there in a long time because i too am trying not to buy so much stuff).