Monday, March 10, 2008

New Job/House (maybe)

I was driving home yesterday, and the street I normally drive on was under construction. I was diverted to a nearby residential area where I saw a house for sale with an open house sign out front. I drove past it thinking how cute it was (and more importantly how it had a garage). When i got home, I told Pete about it and asked if he wanted to go look at it just for fun. He agreed it would be fun. We were bored. The house was cute enough, but nothing special. We talked to the real estate guy and told him that we were thinking we would probably move within the next year or so. We just chit-chatted about what was out there in the price range we were looking for (180,000ish). Nothing that he had at hand seemed really all that great, so he gave us his card and recommended a website for nm homes.

I went home and started perusing the houses when lo and behold, the exact house I'm looking for leapt up at me....and for well below our budget. It was a three bedroom, two bath with a two car garage in a well-established and decent part of town. The layout looked really nice and open, and nobody was living there. I showed Pete, and once again we decided to go do a drive-by just for fun. We seriously weren't looking for a home at all.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We went and peeked into the windows and OH MY GOODNESS. It is exactly the house we are looking for, only well below our budget. We wanted something with a really good layout, but with crappy out of date stuff in it so it would be cheap and we could fix it up. Besides, we probably would have ripped out the newer stuff in the house anyways. We might at well get some equity out of the deal. Check out that orange kitchen! HOT! Now we are seriously considering the move. Our mortgage will only go up a couple hundred dollars, if that. Which brings us to part two of this lovely blog...Pete's new job.

Pete will be graduating in May with his MBA. It's already been established that there's really no way for Pete to get promoted unless somebody dies, so he's been looking around for something new. Well, he applied for one of these said jobs on Sunday night, and Monday morning got an enthusiastic call back. They did a phone interview, and said they'd like to meet with him in person this week. They told him that he is pretty much everything they are looking for and more. Hopefully he'll get the job, because it'll mean a $10-15k raise. Woo-hoo!

I wasn't really looking forward to staying in Albuquerque. It's all right and everything, I just have no family here which sucks. I already spent 4 years in the military isolated from family, and I don't particularly want to do it again voluntary. However, Pete LOVES it here. I figure I'll stick it out for a while, but it would royally suck to have no family around with little kids (as I'm sure Erica can relate to). Where am I supposed to dump the kids at a moment's notice so I can go regain my sanity? Sheesh.

3 comments:

Dick&Erica said...

We were so excited to move away to be able to do our own thing and raise our family the way we wanted to. But now I am really wishing we had family to drop the kids at. (Hence the reason I feel like my sanity is gone!) It was okay at first with just Ella, but then all of our frineds in NY started having kids, so we didn't want to dump another one on them. Now with two it's even harder.

But it is fun to rely on eachother a lot. And I think the grandparents really take advantage of the time they get to spend with the kids. Plus they're way more apt to visit you. Pros and cons! We have the attitude that we can live anywhere for four years. And it probably wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't snowing for seven months out of the year.

That house looks lovely. A perfect canvas to create what you want.

Anonymous said...

I always liked being 100 miles away from my folks...close enough to do a daytrip or even an overnite on the spur of the moment when I needed some Momtime, but far away enough so they wouldnt irritate me with popping over when my house was trashed without warning. Actually the distance i am away from Melanie is good....we have to PLAN to see each other.
I'd certainly rather you be closer, but at least it's not terribly expensive to fly out there for the weekend. Dan's going to podunkville Oregon...dont expect to see him for a good long while after he leaves in a couple of days.

HOw's the market for SELLING your current house? buying a house is easy...selling is a whole different story these days.

Love, Mom (forgot my google name)

Sharisa at Outstanding Occasions said...

Yeah! I hope both work out for you guys. And I'm sure that ripping out those cabinets will be truly gratifying :)