Sunday, February 10, 2008

BABIES, BABIES, BABIES!

As many of you know, I've been ready for kids for about the last 20 years. When my friend Sarah and I used to play house, I would always stuff my shirt so I'd be the pregnant one. I've always had babies on the brain. Finally, at the ripe old age of 29, Pete and I are trying for one. I went online and purchased this amazing little thing that looks like a lipstick at first glance, but when you open it up you find that it's a mini microscope with a little built-in LED light. I wipe a little spit on the lens each morning, and if five minutes later I see a "ferning" pattern then I'm ovulating! Ah, the wonders of modern-day technology. The best part is, this little contraption only cost me 23 bucks, and I can use it forever! I was partially skeptical at first, but after tracking all my womanly cycles, it's ferning at just the right time. My advice to all you ladies hoping to get pregnant is to buy one. So rad!



Photobucket



Something that concerns me about the whole getting pregnant thing is that Pete so obsessively wants a boy. I went online searching to see if there is any way we can actually increase our chances of a boy vs. girl (other than ridiculous old wives tales) and I found one thing that seemed almost plausible. It's called Shettles method, named after the Dr. that researched it. Basically it said that the boy spermies are way faster than the girls, but they don't live as long. The girls are slower, but are much more resistant to acidic pH levels and can survive for up to five days in little crevices. The idea is to time it just right, and to eat more alkaline foods that are conducive to the survival of the boys. There are other things too, but I'm not going to get into gory details about it. Research showed a 75% success rate in getting the sex of baby that you were trying for by using this method. While it's not 100% it sure beats 50/50. I'm going to try my darndest for a boy, but secretly if we have a girl I will be so psyched!

I wet on an errand to drop off a bunch of old stuff at Savers, and while I was there I browsed around at the baby stuff. While looking in the furniture section, I noticed there was a crib taken apart and covered in dust and formula sitting in the corner. I went to check it out to see if it was broken or ugly, and I found that it was actually an awesome crib. I didn't see a price tag right away, so I called the furniture guy over to help me. He found the price tag that read $20, and I went on to point out that it was taken apart and there might be pieces or screws missing. It was also in pretty shabby shape (or so I told him). Long story short, I talked him down to ten bucks! Suckker! I knew the crib was just fine. My only concern was that there might be a screw missing or something, but that's $.49 at home Depot. There was nothing missing! Here's the crib I got, but it's a dark honey shade of wood, and there's no ugly bedding or drawer. TEN BUCKS!


Photobucket



While I was there I also got some cheap books about babies, including The Expectant Father for Pete. I strategically placed it on his side of the bed by his other books. I'm pretty sure he's grown quite annoyed with my baby fever. I can't imagine why? Everybody buys all their baby stuff before they're even pregnant....right?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man Laurie...yeah, just a little bit obsessive. That's cool tho, at least it's a good obsession. You could be a really stupid obsessed with say, pirates or oragami.
I must say, that I do hope you have a boy first, but I would also secretly (or not so secretly) love to have a little Juliana! We'll let Pete have his boy first tho so he can get it out of his system. They're both kinda cute.