Friday, December 28, 2007

Road Hazards and New Year's Resolutions

I'm all packed up and on my way out of Albuquerque traveling West on I-40. I've picked up Travis and Amber, and Izzy is resting peacefully on her bed in the back seat. When all of a sudden, a giant metal pointy thing lunges out from between the wheels of the utility van in front of me, and spins it's way toward my car. My quick goat thinking suddenly comes into play. Do I swerve into the wall to my left, lunge into the car on my right, slam on my brakes (and still probably run it over), or just hit the dang thing. I have precisely .23 seconds to decide, and I choose to take a chance and I just run it over. Hey, maybe it's a cardboard box somebody spray-painted silver? No such luck. My car lunges up and to the right as myself and the passengers of my car all hold on for dear life. WHAT IS THAT THING!? A few seconds go by, and the car resumes a peaceful drive. I thought for sure we'd at least flatten a tire or something. There's no exit for another mile and a half or so, so I slowly make my way to the right lane. Then suddenly, I lose power. My car is still running, the engine is revving, but I'm not going anywhere. I pull over to the side of the road and call a tow truck. I call Pete who is in California for a business trip, and he decides that whatever it was must have punctured my transmission at the very least.

My good friend Kyle (to whom I am forever indebted) picked us all up, the tow truck towed my car to the dealer, and I picked up a rental car the next morning and eventually made my way to Phoenix for a lovely Christmas (thank you Mommie Dearest). While driving passed the spot where I hit the unnamed object, we saw a beat up metal thing that we all first thought was the bottom of a shopping cart. After consideration, it was decided that it must have been a hand truck (like a dolly) that had foiled our original driving schedule. The car is being evaluated, and the insurance company is going to decide if it's a total loss or if they're going to fix it. I probably won't have a car for at least another week. : (

On another more pleasant note, I'm at home today thinking about the New Year. These are my New year's resolutions:

1. No more soda pop. It's full of sugar, and cola gives me the jitters and makes me feel like crap.

2. Remember to take a pre-natal vitamin every day, and to spit on my ovulation tester thingie. I've already been taking the pre-natals, but I forget to take them every now and then.

3. Get pregnant (woo-hoo!)

4. Have a yard sale and/or give away all the excessive "stuff" I have laying around the house and stored in the creepy space under my stairs. I have a lot of stuff I really don't need. maybe I'll have a "free stuff" party or something.

5. Pay off all our credit card bills. We don't have an insane amount of credit card debt, but it would be nice if it was down to zero.

6. Make the Dr. appointments I've been putting off. I have a funky cyst thingie on my arm that's been there for years and I keep saying I'm going to make the appointment to have it removed, but I never do. I'd also like to get some cosmetic dentistry done too, and I even have some money set aside to actually do it! Yippee!

1 comments:

Julie said...

and I was reading somewhere (nat'l enquirer? internet truisms? forgot.) that taking an iron supplement greatly increases chances of pregnancy.
and you're welcome about Christmas in AZ